Re: [Xen-devel] Which mailing list to use

Hello there,

On Wednesday 14 May 2008, Emre Can Sezer wrote:
> I'm new to both Xen and the mailing lists.  My intentions are to use Xen
> to implement and test kernel related projects.  I have two questions:

Welcome.

> - I heard that Xen has evolved since it was introduced with the paper
> titled "Architectural Support for Software-Based Protection".  I'm
> particularly interested in Memory Management.  Is there a compiled text to
> get me up to speed in if/how Xen uses VT technology and how the page
> tables are handled?  Any pointers to new documentation would be
> appreciated.

I'm not aware of a published paper describing the behaviour of Xen's shadow
pagetable implementation for full virtualisation.

For processor virtualisation, Xen supports Intel's VT-x virtualisation
extensions for x86, AMD's similar AMD-V extensions, also for x86 and Intel's
VT-i extensions for Itanium.

> - If I encounter technical problems regarding the inner workings of Xen,
> which mailing list would be the best to look for help in?

If you have questions about Xen / XenLinux / tools internals, ask on the
xen-devel list.  If you have trouble getting something up and running, it's
usually best to ask on xen-users.

Cheers,
Mark