Re: [Xen-devel] consistent LVM snapshot of domUs from dom0

Hi there,

> thanks very very much for a reply, I was beginning to feel a bit sad that
> nobody replied :)

No problem!

> > xm create mydomain
> > xm fs_freeze mydomain
> > <do backup>
> > xm fs_unfreeze mydomain

Actually, an even better way (with better tools integration) would be:

xm create mydomain

xm fs_snapshot mydomain
  +---> freezes domain filesystem
  +---> does a block level snapshot with LVM or qcow
  +---> unfreezes domain filesystem

<user now backs up the snapshot at their leisure>

> Yes, I really like this way, and now the question is: do You think,
> that You could have a time to look at it in near future? Or should I try
> to solve it? I do not have knowledge of xen internals to do it (yet?), but
> I'm trying to learn anyways, so maybe I could try to fix, if there would
> be somebody to give me some guidance ;)

It's mostly a question of Linux kernel hacking, I think, plus adding support
to the Xen tools.  Xen itself would definitely not need to be touched.

I've actually been having a look at this today and trying to code up a little
example implementation.  You're welcome to have a go too if you want,
particularly if you're into kernel hacking.  But I'll put my code online if I
get anywhere, anyhow.

> What do you think?

Lots of people seem to be interested in this sort of thing, so I think it's
worth looking into.

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.