RE: [Xen-devel] Revisiting the Xenoprof problem

> So the xen passive domain support needs to be accepted into
> oprofile before the matching patches get accepted into Xen?

  That was the original plan. However since no one is working on modifying the
patches to attend John Levon requests I think this is not going to happen
anytime soon. So I am suggesting to change the original plan and merge the Xen
fix to support oprofile 0.9.3. now. We should reserve the cpu buffer escape
codes for Xen in mainline Oprofile (to avoid the same problem in future
Oprofile versions) and get the changes to Xen merged.

The main question is how to change Xen to support newer versions of Oprofile
without breaking instalations using older versions.

Here is a suggestion.
We could create a new xenoprof operation (in xenoprof hypercall) to tell Xen to
use the new version of the CPU escape codes (used to represent domain
switches). We would then modify oprofile patches for passive domain support to
call this hypercall for oprofile versions 0.9.3 and later. By default Xen would
use the older version of the escape code if the new xenoprof hypercall is not
invoked, enabling instalations with oprofile 0.9.2 and older to continue
working, since they will not invoke the new hypercall.

Does this seems reasonable?
Keir, would this be acceptable?
If we reach agreement I can create the Xen and Oprofile patches

Thanks

Renato