Re: [Xen-devel] troubles using network boot with HVM guest

Tim Deegan a écrit :
> At 16:34 +0200 on 06 Jun (1181147651), Guillaume Rousse wrote:
>> Tim Deegan a écrit :
>>> Can you check the DHCP server settings, and whether your proxy is doing
>>> something wierd to the packet?
>> I did check with a real host, it worked perfectly.
>
> Was your test host using an rtl8139 and etherboot?  Did grub work on it?
Now, it was standard PXE. I never had to use anything else sofar, hence
my current troubles.

>> But you find the
>> issue: the server was only answering PXE requests, whereas the emulated
>> network card send an etherboot one.Just adding etherboot configuration
>> on the server was enough to provide a functional answer.
>
> Great!
>
>> I was able to make the virtual domain download a grub stage2 built for
>> rtl839. As I was not able to rebuild grub myself (compilation errors), I
>> used this one
>> http://cvs.mandriva.com/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gi/tools/i386/netboot/rtl8139/?pathrev=MDK-2006_0-update
>>
>> Once loaded, the virtual host send a new DHCP request, and then ignore
>> the answer once again, despite the fact than the next-server field is
>> correct. According to my knowledge, it should finish the DHCP
>> transaction, then requires /boot/grub/menu.list from the tftp server.
>
> Aiee!  Grub will be using its own driver and IP stack, so presumably has
> other restrictions on what it thinks a DHCP response should look like.
> Have you considered using pxelinux? :)
You know what ? I was persuaded than pxelinux was not compatible with
etherboot, just from the only PXE documentation I had... I just changed
my configuration to use my already existing pxelinux configuration, and
everything works like a charm...

Thanks a lot for your suggestion :)
--
Guillaume Rousse