Re: [Xen-devel] NMI deferral on i386

  • To: Jan Beulich <jbeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Keir Fraser <keir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 09:28:22 +0100
  • Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 16 May 2007 01:24:44 -0700

On 16/5/07 09:17, "Jan Beulich" <jbeulich@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Yes, it's good enough for watchdog and oprofile. Level-triggered external
>> NMIs will of course be a problem. We could possibly work around this by
>> masking LINT1 if we are CPU0 (and, of course, if LAPIC is enabled) and then
>> unmasking only at the end of real NMI handler. And of course x86/64 doesn't
>> have this problem at all, and practically speaking is pretty much the only
>> hypervisor build that vendors seem to care about.
>
> What if we removed the deferral altogether, and made the NMI handler
> store into the outer most frame (after all, selector registers have fixed
> places on that frame), marking the that frame accordingly so that
> overwriting the values saved this way can be avoided in the
> interrupted save sequence (would be necessary only if both %ds and
> %es are neither __HYPERVISOR_DS nor null [neatly avoiding special
> casing the vm86 mode entry in the outer frame], and would add an extra
> branch to __SAVE_ALL_PRE plus splitting the selector register stores
> into moving %ds and %es into general purpose registers, testing the
> flag NMI or MCE handlers may set, and storing the GPRs into the frame
> if the flag was clear).

It sounds a bit painful. Also it's the exit-to-guest path that is more of a
pain to deal with. In this case we may have restored a segment register by
the time we take the NMI. What do we do in this case about restoring the
segment register safely? Races in updating GDT/LDT may mean that the reload
still may fault, even though it didn't just before; also we may need to do
work in Xen (e.g., shadow-mode stuff) in interrupts-enabled context to fix
up a #GP or #PG.

 -- Keir