RE: [Xen-devel] Problem with VLANs on tg3 NICs

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007, Ian Pratt wrote:
I'm still a bit confused as to how the standard linux bridge can work with VLAN trunks. With a 'real' Ethernet switch you have to enable which VLANs you want to appear on a port. I'm not aware of the Linux bridge having such functionality -- I thought you had to set up a separate bridge for each VLAN then mux/demux them at the physical/virtual NICs.

You're thinking of VLAN-aware switches.. if you're using an unmanaged switch that doesn't have a concept of VLAN's (ie, the Linux bridging code, IIRC), it'll just pass the packet on, tags and all.

In theory, this should work. I have a feeling that the tg3 driver is indeed stripping the VLAN tags, but am not a coder, so I can't confirm that.. :(