RE: [Xen-devel] Problem with VLANs on tg3 NICs

  • To: "Evan Bigall" <evan.bigall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 22:35:33 -0000
  • Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 14:35:38 -0800

>       Please can you describe the setup in more detail, including the
> bridge
>       and NIC setup in dom0. It sounds like you're trying to pass a
VLAN
> trunk
>       into a guest and then use vconfig inside the guest, but I didn't
> think
>       you could do this with the standard linux bridge as it didn't
support
>       VLAN trunking.
>
> The network setup in dom0 is the default (I've just downloaded the
source
> tarball and then built and installed it.  The only change I've made is
> enable 8021.q support in the xenU kernel).  Then you are correct, in
domU I
> use vconfig to create a vlan interface and ifconfig to give it an
address
> and bring it up. On systems whose NICs don't use the tg3 driver, this
seems
> to work fine.  I can tcpdump on the bridge in dom0 and see the tagged
> traffic coming and going.  Here is some info from dom0 on one of the
> working systems.

I'm still a bit confused as to how the standard linux bridge can work
with VLAN trunks. With a 'real' Ethernet switch you have to enable which
VLANs you want to appear on a port. I'm not aware of the Linux bridge
having such functionality -- I thought you had to set up a separate
bridge for each VLAN then mux/demux them at the physical/virtual NICs.

Ian