Re: [Xen-devel] Trans.: Device drivers and Xend

Hi,

  First thanks for your answer and your encouragements.

So first, why I am using Xen 2.0.7 instead of Xen 3.x, whereas things I want
would be easier to implement with the Xen3 API, is because I need a XenoLinux
2.4 kernel. And, if I am right, Xen3 currently support Linux 2.6 but not 2.4.
And... in fact it is the only reason.

Now, what I want to be implemented in my driver : when the front-end
(corresponding to my driver) is loaded in a domU, I need an event channel to be
set up and a shared memory page. By this way the front-end will communicate data
to the back-end, by writing data in the shared memory page and sending a
notification event. Something very classical. Of course, several front-end
could connect to the same back-end.

So (I think) what I need (with Xen2) is to add in Xend the management of my new
driver, by adding the right python script, like mydevif.py. I need to define my
control message, like CMSG_MYDEV_CONNECT, to add them to
/usr/lib/python/xend/server/messages.py. By this way when a front-end starts,
it sends a CMSG_MYDEV_CONNECT via the control interface, and Xend creates the
event channel between the back and front end and set up a shared memory page.

If I am right above, I just need to understand where to add the needed code in
Xend, how to add a new device type, which are the methods / class to implement,
..., which seems difficult to me, as Xend is not well documented. Also if I
want this virtual driver to be set up juste for particular guests, I need to
modify the configuration script for domain and so xm, to add a new parameter,
like mydev = 0 | 1. But once again, as the process of adding a new device type
in Xend is not described, it seems difficult to me.

Of course, it seems that such things are really easier to implement in Xen3.x,
as I saw in some examples. But I do really need a Linux 2.4 kernel,
unfortunately.

So what I wondered first if is I am right on the above explanations, and if some
body can tell me the tips I need about Xend.

Thanks again.

PS : If nobody can help me and that I don't succeed by myself in adding what I
want in Xend, I will try with Xen3, but I really need a 2.4 Linux kernel (for
dom0).

--
Nicolas CLERMONT