Re: [Xen-devel] Re: How to intercept interrupts from guest domains

  • To: Mads Bergdal <mbergdal@xxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 11:01:31 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 03:00:19 -0700

On 19/9/06 10:52, "Mads Bergdal" <mbergdal@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> I am writing my master thesis on virtualization with Xen. I am trying to
>>>     intercept the hypercalls coming from the guest domains. More
>>> specific I am trying to determine where in memory a guest domain is
>>> writing. Does anyone have a hint on where in the code I should try to do
>>> this?
>>
>> If you want to know where a guest is writing you need to do more than
>> intercept hypercalls. You want to intercept memory accesses to, which would
>> liekly mean you need to run on shadow pagetables and manipulate access
>> permissions to trap on first access to a page.
>>
>>  -- Keir
> Yes, that sounds reasonable. Do you know where in the code this could be
> achieved?

What's the intended purpose? You could perhaps look at the log-dirty shadow
mode. This is used to track which pages have been modified by the guest -- a
page which the guest maps writeable is not made writable in the shadow page
tables until the time of the first write access (when that page is added to
a 'dirty log' for further processing).

Be warned that modifying the shadow code is rather more difficult than a
project that would simply involve adding a hook point to every hypercall!

 -- Keir