Re: [Xen-devel] Why do we use /usr/lib/python to install python libraries?

On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 08:09:06PM -0500, Anthony Liguori wrote:

> This seems exceptionally evil and is definitely a PITA.  What was the
> original problem that led us to do this?  I'd like to take a stab at
> correcting it so we can have a more sane installation.

If you're going to fix this, then great.  Perhaps you could make it:

a) use the proper Python distutils if installed;

b) fall back to using /usr/lib{,64}/python if distutils is not installed
   (though I can't imagine that there are many systems that are shipping with
   Python but without distutils, and you do need Python to run Xend, after
   all);

c) make sure that we actually do install into /usr/lib64 on appropriate
   systems.  This is a current bug, though I've no idea when it got
   introduced.  We need to install into /usr/lib64 because xc.so and xs.so are
   compiled native code.

Thanks Anthony,

Ewan.