Re: [Xen-devel] X86_emulate to be moved into qemu...

On 17 May 2006, at 22:45, Jon Smirl wrote:

It wasn't clear from the earlier mail that this was only a partial
emulator. We are already using the emulator from the Linux Bios
project so we'll stick with that. It would nice to reduce the number
of emulator code bases being used.

Different applications require quite different emulators. The scitechsoft one in linuxbios emulates true real-mode only (no protected mode; no big real mode) and it will run on non-x86 hardware (obviously a fundamental requirement for your use). For us protected mode is the primary mode of operation, and we get *significant* speedup and simplification by knowing that we are emulating on x86 (specifically we execute a regs-only version of the instruction we are 'emulating', hence no tedious emulation of flags etc -- basically we only emulate the data movement to/from memory).

 -- Keir