Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [rfc] [patch] "frame number" size in hypercall ABI

On Apr 19, 2006, at 10:05 AM, Ewan Mellor wrote:

On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 09:08:49AM -0500, Hollis Blanchard wrote:

(If we require a 64-bit libxc in this case, that will also require a
64-bit python, and 64-bit versions of all the python modules. No
distribution, other than maybe Gentoo, currently does this, and it
would be a big PITA for them to do so.)

Silence your heretic anti-Debian libels! ;-) Comparing them to Gentoo,
indeed...

There is a Debian AMD64 / EM64T port, which will become official with the next
release (insert compulsory "some time in 2010" joke here).

Sorry for being unclear; I'm not talking about x86-64. AFAIK it is always a performance win to use 64-bit binaries on x86-64 because 32-bit x86 is so bad.

This is not at all the case with 64-bit PowerPC: it is usually a performance loss to simply recompile 32-bit binaries as 64-bit. Accordingly, only some initially misguided PowerPC distributions are 100% 64-bit.

--
Hollis Blanchard
IBM Linux Technology Center