[Xen-devel] separate components and broken out patches

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Magnus Damm" <magnus.damm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 12:09:53 +0900
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 20:10:14 -0700

Hi all,

I've been playing with the hg xen-unstable tree for a while now, and
after poking around in the source tree a bit I think I've figured out
how the build system is working.

I am a bit surprised by the mix of sparse and patches, and I find that
combination quite hard to work with. I'm mostly interested in the
kernel part of xen for now, and for that kind of work I prefer broken
out patches.

So to make my kernel work easier I've hacked on breaking out code from
the xen-unstable tree into three separate components:

- kernel
- hypervisor
- tools

Each of these components are stand alone but some header files are
"shared", ie present in each component. I've managed to create base
tarballs (or a base patch for the vanilla kernel) and broken out
patches on top of the base files. The broken out patches are generated
from hg using some magic shell scripts.

The components above build ok, and I find it good that the kernel and
hypervisor could easily be cross compiled compared to the tools that
require a more complex cross tool environment.

If anyone is interested in extending this idea or merging patches let me know.

Thanks!

/ magnus