Does dom0 see all physical processors? (RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] SAL INFO virtualization)

OK, seems that I didn't describe the case clearly. :-) For current xen
model, dom0 default runs on all physical cpus which is however
configurable.:

    if ( opt_dom0_max_vcpus == 0 )
        opt_dom0_max_vcpus = num_online_cpus();
    if ( opt_dom0_max_vcpus > MAX_VIRT_CPUS )
        opt_dom0_max_vcpus = MAX_VIRT_CPUS;
    printk("Dom0 has maximum %u VCPUs\n", opt_dom0_max_vcpus);

    for ( i = 1; i < opt_dom0_max_vcpus; i++ )
        (void)alloc_vcpu(d, i, i); /* vcpu N runs on physical cpu N */

In this case, max vcpus of dom0 is configurable but each vcpu is running
at different physical processor once allocated. For a typical SMP box,
such model can provide better performance or else dom0 will become the
bottle neck if only owning one physical processor.

Then consider your question about a large box with many processors.
How about the real environment? Is it the case to provide a 16-way SMP
box, or a 16-way NUMA box? I prefer to the latter. If it's a NUMA box,
dom0 sees physical ACPI table and can be configured as NUMA aware.

Yes, such binding model may change later but it's always bad to have
dom0 only running on single physical processor.

CC to a wider list for comments. :-)

Thanks,
Kevin