[Xen-devel] Re: [RFC, PATCH 5/24] i386 Vmi code patching

Chris Wright wrote:
* Andi Kleen (ak@xxxxxxx) wrote:
The disassembly stuff indeed doesn't look like something
that belongs in the kernel.

Strongly agreed.  The strict ABI requirements put forth here are not
in-line with Linux, IMO.  I think source compatibility is the limit of
reasonable, and any ROM code be in-tree if something like this were to
be viable upstream.

Hi Chris,

Would you have less trouble if the "ROM" were actually more like a module? Specifically, if it had a proper elf header and symbol table, used symbols as entry points, and was a GPL interface (so that ROM's had to be GPL)? Then it's just a kernel module that's hidden in the option ROM space and has a C interface.

I know you end up losing the ability to do crazy inlining of the ROM code but I think it becomes a much less hairy interface that way.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

thanks,
-chris