RE: [Xen-devel] Re: [Xen-users] How to share data between guestdomains

Hope to see your detailed subscription. It is really good news, especially for multi Guests requirement, such as testing. Is it based on Xen0? Is it for both para-virtualization XenU and HVM?

Thought I'd just add that VL has similar characteristics to my XenFS project. Both share some common objectives but differ in some details. Eventually, we may be able to share features.

The filesystem sharing situation under Xen should improve substantially in the future.

http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenFS

Cheers,
Mark

Xin

Yura Pismerov wrote:
I found that using NFS for things like this makes much more sense.
You can run the domU with NFS root (read-only) and map certain areas you
need read/write
to tmpfs by mounting them with "mount --bind" in Linux). For example, if
I use NFS root and want my /etc
be writable I can always write its content to a tmpfs mounted area and
run "mount --bind /tmpfs/etc /etc".
This also will solve problems with centralized package updates when not
only /usr is being updated, but some other areas (eg. /etc, /var/lib).
You want those areas be shared between domU's as well.

Molle Bestefich wrote:

Todd D. Esposito wrote:

However, on that note, I wonder if you could mount the same file system, say something like /usr, into multiple domU's READ ONLY.

That works for me.

What doesn't work is mounting that file/device READ/WRITE in one domU
to update the filesystem.  For that, I have to take down *all* domUs.
Not good...

(When I try I get a vbd: error saying "already in use".)

(I know about caching and that I need eg. a cluster-aware filesystem
to do this.)

I've spent a couple of hours hunting through various Xen source files.
There's a lot of Python functions that are only 3-5 lines long and
which does little else than calling the next function, which makes it
very hard to figure out what's going on :-/.

Could one of you devel guys please let me know where I need to go to
remove this silly limitation? :-)

Best Regards,
Yongkang (Kangkang) ÓÀ¿µ