RE: [Xen-devel] VP problematic for backend drivers on IA64?

> > Actually, after thinking about this, it's a bit more complicated
> > because of the possibility that a DMA may address more than
> one page.
> > If so, a simple DMA may need to be translated into a scatter-gather
> > (or a scatter-gather into a more complex scatter-gather).
> >
> > Not impossible, obviously because Xen/x86 handles this --
> by changing
> > Linux, correct?
>
> Correct. Specifically, it's handled by Xen's version of swiotlb.c.

swiotlb just handles the rare cases where things straddle a page. Other
modifications we've made try to avoid this happening (preventing block
request merging across boundries that aren't machine and phys
contiguous, skb slab cache).

> > Do hardware IOMMU's in general handle this complication?
>
> Yes. You can use a HW IOMMU to map a scatter-gather list of
> machine pages into a contigous range in the IO space. It can
> also do the reverse, but that's less interesting.
>
> > E.g. is there a cleanly defined interface that can be
> applied to a VP
> > domain "Xen IOMMU"?

The existing linux one will suffice.

Ian