Re: Ownership of machine pages: Was: [Xen-devel] Essay on an important Xen decision (long)

  • To: James Bulpin <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Jayesh Salvi <jayeshsalvi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 22:03:59 -0600
  • Cc: "Magenheimer, Dan \(HP Labs Fort Collins\)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>, xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 05:34:01 +0000

Sorry, if I missed something. But I did not read any discussion on Harry Butterworth's idea of generic memory management API (xenidc and USB driver).

My experience is not enough to comment on this topic, but I would like to understand these design decisions. As far as I know, generic API's that provide proper abstractions prove useful (e.g. Linux VirtualFS). There are counter arguments to it (performance degradation mainly / wrong abstractions). But I didn't find any comments on the xenidc API approach.

Apart from that, thanks for elaborate description of some key concepts.

Jayesh

On 1/12/06, James Bulpin <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins) wrote:
> (Sorry again for the late and off-thread reply... even though
> your message is addressed to me personally, to xen-devel,
> and to xen-ia64-devel, I didn't get a copy and just saw it
> in xen-devel which I only receive digested.  Some strangeness
> in the mailing list nodupe feature maybe?  James cc'ed....)

If you were on the recipient list of the original mail from Keir then
that should have gone directly to you without passing anywhere near the
list server, if you didn't get that then it's a problem with mail
servers at your or Keir's end. If you've got nodupe set for
xen-ia64-devel then your address being on the message means that you
won't get the message via the list. You still get the message on the
xen-devel digest because nodupe doesn't apply (or make sense) to digests.

Cheers,
James

Jayesh