Re: Ownership of machine pages: Was: [Xen-devel] Essay on an important Xen decision (long)

(Sorry again for the late and off-thread reply... even though
your message is addressed to me personally, to xen-devel,
and to xen-ia64-devel, I didn't get a copy and just saw it
in xen-devel which I only receive digested.  Some strangeness
in the mailing list nodupe feature maybe?  James cc'ed....)

Yes, I think I could do a short presentation about what
I perceive are the issues and my (admittedly half-baked)
solution, but this would probably be better as a discussion
or brainstorming session than a "classroom" session
with 50 people listening.

> In a literal/extreme form of your model, any address space
> access/update would need to be translated and/or validated by
> domain0.

The literal/extreme form of just about *any* model generally
sucks ;-)  I'm thinking that Xen retains lookup tables so
all accesses are low cost, but (most) updates require domain0.
I think (without enough expertise in Xen/x86 memory management)
that the sticky overhead part will be page-flipping for netif:
Is there any "page affinity" for skbuffs or are they random pages?

Dan