RE: [Xen-devel] Xen 3.0 x86 + PAE with > 16 GB RAM?

  • To: "Derrik Pates" <demon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Petersson, Mats" <mats.petersson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 14:40:39 +0100
  • Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 13:47:45 +0000

Hmm, so these are some custom tools? Or something that normally is
distributed with the OS distribution you're planning to use? All
software distributed with the OS will, of course, be compiled to fit the
kernel - whether it's in 32-bit or 64-bit. Also, any tools not included
in the distribution would be perfectly fine to run in 32-bit mode [with
the relevant 32-bit restrictions, but that's the same if you're running
PAE], as all OS interfaces that are available to the 32-bit app within a
32-bit OS are also made available, through a thin translation layer, in
the 64-bit OS. As far as I'm aware, running 32-bit apps/tools will work
exactly the same in 64-bit OS as it does in 32-bit OS. I'm sure there
are some, rare, special cases where this is not true, but I'm not aware
of any at this time.

--
Mats