RE: [Xen-devel] block-nbd script and example config

  • To: "Anthony Liguori" <aliguori@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 17:08:32 +0100
  • Cc: Xen development list <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Kurt Garloff <garloff@xxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 16:05:45 +0000

> >On this subject, I think it would be less confusing if we configured
> >disks using a syntax more akin to that which we use for
> networking e.g.:
> >

> I actually like this idea a lot.  I'm not a huge fan of the
> current block device configuration.
>
> >disks = [ 'export=phy:/dev/sda1, target=/dev/sda1, options=rw',
> >          'export=phy:/dev/vg/my_usr, target=/dev/sdb1, options=ro' ]
> >
> >I know its late in the day to be making changes like this, but it
> >doesn't hurt to canvass opinion...
> >
> The only thing to think about is how do handle file devices
> with spaces in the filename.  This is going to be common I think.
>
> Comma and spaces are valid filename characters.  I think : is
> probably the safest separator since it's used a lot.

Let's think a little about what we'd like this to look like.

Taking a similar approach to network devices, we'd end up with something
that looks like this:

  disks = [ 'export=phy:/dev/sda1, target=/dev/sda1, options=rw',
            'export=phy:/dev/vg/my_usr, target=/dev/sdb1, options=ro' ]

I'm wandering whether the following although slightly ugly might be
better from a python POV (we'd change network devices acordingly too:

  disks = [ { 'export':'phy:/dev/sda1', 'target':'/dev/sda1',
'options':'rw' },
            { 'export':'phy:/dev/vg/my_usr', 'target':'/dev/sdb1',
'options':'ro' } ]

Is this just too ugly and would we be better off going with my first
proposal? Or should we just leave things alone for 3.0?

Ian