Re: [Xen-devel] xenstore documentation

On Tue, 2005-10-04 at 21:55 +0900, NAHieu wrote:
> On 10/4/05, harry <harry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > If you look at writeDetails in
> > tools/python/xen/xend/server/DevController.py you'll see the
> > transactions which cause the back and front ends to get probed.
> >
> > The transactions contain extra fields as provided by the derived class
> > specific to the device type and are written into the store in the
> > locations constructed in the frontendPath and backendPath functions in
> > DevController.py.  These paths contain the device id string as specified
> > when you registered your xenbus drivers.
> >

> Does that mean if I want to write a new split device, I must patch
> xend to let it aware of the new type of device?

Yes.  You have to add a new class in python/xen/xend/server (see
blkif.py as an example) and then hook this class into xend in
XendDomainInfo.py and xm/create.py to get the config parameters passed
correctly.

> I have the same problem here: I am struggling on the first simple
> backend/frontend driver, and I cannot figure out why probe functions
> in the frontend is not called.

Well, I have managed to get my probe functions called successfully :-)
But I'm struggling with creating a mechanism which correctly constructs
and tears-down the shared memory page in all the following scenarios:

FE module load/unload
BE module load/unload
device hot plug/remove
domain suspend/resume
domain start/stop

If someone with superior understanding would like to document a complete
solution that would be really helpful.

Harry.