Re: [Xen-devel] Unab[l]e to create guest domain on PAE enabled SLES 9 SP2 box, 4GB RAM

On Tue, 2005-09-20 at 09:44 +0100, Keir Fraser wrote:
> On 19 Sep 2005, at 19:45, David F Barrera wrote:
>
> > (gdb) bt
> > #0  0xc02523bd in xencons_ring_send ()
> > #1  0xc124a7f8 in ?? ()
> > #2  0x00000001 in ?? ()
> > #3  0x00000004 in ?? ()
> > #4  0x00000002 in ?? ()
>
> This isn't a debug build of domain0 -- you need to enable frame
> pointers under 'kernel hacking' in the kernel configurator, as
> described in the gdb/README file.
I followed exactly what the README detailed:

DomU GDB server for 32-bit (PAE and non-PAE) systems

Lines marked below with [*] are optional, if you want full
source-level debugging of your kernel image.

To build the GDB server:
 1. Run ./gdbbuild from within this directory.
 2. Copy ./gdb-6.2.1-linux-i386-xen/gdb/gdbserver/gdbserver-xen
    to your test machine.

To build a debuggable guest kernel image:
 1. cd linux-2.6.12-xenU
 2. ARCH=xen make menuconfig
 3. From within the configurator, enable the following options:
    # Kernel hacking -> Compile the kernel with debug info [*]
                     -> Compile the kernel with frame pointers
 4. (Re)build and (re)install your xenU kernel image.

To debug a running guest:
 1. Use 'xm list' to discover its domain id ($domid).
 2. Run 'gdbserver-xen 127.0.0.1:9999 --attach $domid'
 3. Run 'gdb /path/to/vmlinux-syms-2.6.xx-xenU'
 4. From within the gdb client session:
    # directory /path/to/linux-2.6.xx-xenU [*]
    # target remote 127.0.0.1:9999
    # bt
    # disass

> However, I think the problem here doesn;t require you to collect a
> proper backtrace. It looks like the domU is spinning waiting to send
> console data to xenconsoled. My guess is that either xenconsoled isn;t
> running, or it's got itself stuck somehow.
>
> Worth doing a 'ps auxw' in domain0 and see if the console daemon is
> actually running...
>
>   -- Keir

Regards,

David F Barrera
Linux Technology Center
Systems and Technology Group, IBM

"The wisest men follow their own direction. "
                                                        Euripides