Re: [Xen-devel] (no subject)

On Mon, Sep 19, 2005 at 09:49:05AM -0700, Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort
Collins) wrote:
> > Please define LINUX_ARCH in buildconfigs/Rules.mk and use that where
> > we run make ARCH=xen.
> > If you can name your config file xen0_defconfig_ia64 and use
> > LINUX_ARCH for the path, then you won't need to duplicate the config
> > file code.
>
> OK, I see.  This cleans it up nicely. New patch attached.

You have to export LINUX_ARCH to the script.  We don't want to
unconditionally polute the environment of all the commands we
run, so you'll have to add it to all the calls to mkbuildtree.

I think I'd prefer xen-mkbuildtree-{pre,post} as the name of the scripts
to run, but not too fussed about that...

> Do the changes have no impact to non-Xen non-x86 kernels?
> Since xenlinux/ia64 is transparently paravirtualized,
> the changes looked like they might be xen-specific, and
> xenlinux/ia64 has been running out-of-tree without any
> of those changes, the script moves them aside.  If there's
> no impact, I can move them back in (but will probably
> do so slowly for testing purposes).
>
> In any case, drivers/xen definitely is not yet fully
> archdep, so I need to use the pre- or post-mkbuildtree
> to do some patching in the short term.  Agree in the longer
> term, these files should be empty but if you don't mind
> greatly, having the archdep hooks there will probably
> make things easier for arch's for now.

Ok, let's go with the pre/post link scripts for now, but I think
it would be good to make our changes work when building non-x86/non-xen.

    christian