RE: [Xen-devel] (no subject)

(Sorry about the "no subject" in the original message...
fat fingers on my part.)

> Please define LINUX_ARCH in buildconfigs/Rules.mk and use that where
> we run make ARCH=xen.
> If you can name your config file xen0_defconfig_ia64 and use
> LINUX_ARCH for the path, then you won't need to duplicate the config
> file code.

OK, I see.  This cleans it up nicely. New patch attached.

> Please also change all mk.linux files.

Done.

> > 2) A sequence of mkbuildtree "massage" commands need to
> >   be executed before mkbuildtree does its linking thing.
> >   Perhaps this could be done as:
> >    if -e mkbuildtree.prelink.$XENARCH
> >        mkbuildtree.prelink.$XENARCH
> >   Though ia64 doesn't need it, maybe also add a "postlink"
> >   equivalent?
>
> Why do you need to move these out of the way in the first place?  If
> any of the changes we've made break ia64, then we should cleanup our
> changes.

Do the changes have no impact to non-Xen non-x86 kernels?
Since xenlinux/ia64 is transparently paravirtualized,
the changes looked like they might be xen-specific, and
xenlinux/ia64 has been running out-of-tree without any
of those changes, the script moves them aside.  If there's
no impact, I can move them back in (but will probably
do so slowly for testing purposes).

In any case, drivers/xen definitely is not yet fully
archdep, so I need to use the pre- or post-mkbuildtree
to do some patching in the short term.  Agree in the longer
term, these files should be empty but if you don't mind
greatly, having the archdep hooks there will probably
make things easier for arch's for now.

> > Could someone with the necessary build knowledge make
> > the improvements and commit this please? Let me know if/when
> > it goes in and I will populate the ia64 -sparse branches.
>
> Please give creating a patch another try, taking the suggestions above
> into consideration.  Thanks!

OK, let me know if this is better.

Thanks,
Dan