[Xen-devel] Fix blatant non-archdep'isms... need help with build env change?

  • To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 16:25:17 -0700
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 23:24:05 +0000

There are a couple of files in sparse/include/asm-xen
that should be portable to other arch's but
are blatantly x86-only.  I was going to post
a patch to fix these but I don't see an easy
way to modify mkbuildtree to point to the correct
include asm subtree (especially for x86_64) so
am hesitant to do something that might break a build
for something I can't test.

With the recent rapid churn in drivers and API,
we are having trouble keeping up with an out-of-tree
copy for Xenlinux/ia64, and would prefer to fix
the obvious x86-isms wherever possible rather than
continually (and manually) synching/patching.

If someone more experienced with the build
environment can add an "asm" link (such as
the one created by linux for include/asm),
I would be happy to provide a patch for the
actual changes.

The problem files (in sparse/include/asm-xen):

- synch_bitops.h: explicitly includes
  asm-i386/synch_bitops.h, should include
  <asm-xen/asm/synch_bitops.h>
- hypervisor.h: about half of this header is
  generic and half is x86-specific.  Should
  include <asm-xen/asm/hypervisor.h> for
  arch-dep code.

There are probably more (and certainly are in
driver directories)... this is just a start.

Thanks,
Dan

(P.S. If someone is kind enough to do this, please
respond to this message.)