[Xen-users] Network stalling

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Tim Durack <tdurack@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 13:17:02 -0400
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 17:15:02 +0000

Guess I should add my experiences:

Running unstable (approx. two weeks old now.)

Dom0 vif1.0 -> guest eth0: icmp works, ssh fails, tcp seems to have checksum issues. Building gre tunnels over this works around the problem. I thought maybe this was device driver related (tg3), so I tried bcm5700 with the same result.

Tried a similar setup with a machine with e100 driver. This time I get udp checksum errors instead of tcp, so dns fails but ssh works ;-( A gre tunnel is my current workaround.

I say checksum issues because ethereal is complaining about transport layer checksums when I do a capture to diagnose the problem.

Tried various combinations of disabling tx/rx/sg/to with ethtool in both Dom0 and guest, to no avail. Also tried hacking the driver code to permanently disable offloads. Tried looking for the difference between stable/unstable netfront and netback, but didnt get far.

A bridged setup works, ip address on Dom0 veth0, Dom0 vif0.0 bridged with Dom0 vif1.0. Real pain in the neck to firewall though, due to all the interfaces. Never managed to get Masquerading to work in this setup, so went back to a routed network with gre tunnels...

I can try a more recent unstable if it might help, but I haven't seen any evidence of anything having fixed this. Love to have a simple routed setup working.

Tim:>