Re: [Xen-devel] Grant Table Network Issues

Michael Vrable wrote:
On Sun, Aug 14, 2005 at 09:29:02AM +0100, Keir Fraser wrote:
On 13 Aug 2005, at 19:59, Michael Vrable wrote:

The line causing trouble is "BUG_ON(in_irq())". [...]

The only code between irq_exit and kmap_skb_frag on the stack trace is unmodified Linux code. Assuming that is all correct (and presumably the same whether we enable grant tables or not) I might guess another interrupt arrives and the handler corrupts things?

I discovered the cause of this and other crashes yesterday: when grant
tables are enabled in the netback driver, net_tx_action() and
net_tx_action_dealloc() in netback.c each allocate large arrays from the
kernel's stack ("gnttab_map_grant_ref_t map_ops[MAX_PENDING_REQS]" and
"gnttab_unmap_grant_ref_t unmap_ops[MAX_PENDING_REQS]").  This results
in a stack overflow.

Is there no way to make a kernel stack overflow fail fast with an obvious
error, rather than causing other subtle failures?

--
David Hopwood <david.nospam.hopwood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>