Re: [Xen-devel] Grant Table Network Issues

On 13 Aug 2005, at 19:59, Michael Vrable wrote:

The line causing trouble is "BUG_ON(in_irq())".  In this example, I had
tcpdump running in both domains; this seems to trigger the problem more
reliably.  I've also seen a similar crash with a TCP connection, but it
takes a few packets before this shows up (the handshake completes, and
the crash happens about the time data packets come back from domain-0;
if checksumming optimizations are enabled, it seems the packets are
dropped so I don't see a crash but I don't get any data either).

On the stack trace, at irq_exit() you definitely have no hardirqs or softirqs in progress. But somehow, at kmap_skb_frag(), the hardirq section of the preempt mask has become non-zero. You can't have been preempted to another cpu during any of this because the preempt mask is continuously non-zero throughout original irq handling and subsequent softirq handling.

The only code between irq_exit and kmap_skb_frag on the stack trace is unmodified Linux code. Assuming that is all correct (and presumably the same whether we enable grant tables or not) I might guess another interrupt arrives and the handler corrupts things?

 -- Keir