RE: [Xen-devel] Benchmarking Xen (results and questions)

> This is much better.  I think my email client just didn't
> format your first (html?) message.  For JBB, I suspect the
> degrade is mostly cache thrashing, and the increased
> timeslice = better cache warmth.  Perhaps there a lot of
> overhead in the domain context switch as well.  What is the
> cpu cache size?

Slices over 50ms won't yield much benefit -- it doesn't take a great
deal of time to warm a typical 1MB cache. The actual explicit cost of
performing a context switch is measured in terms of microseconds.

James Bulpin's PhD thesis provides a lot of hard data on stuff like this
for modern x86 CPUs.

Ian