RE: [Xen-devel] Re: help with bugs

  • To: "Sean Dague" <sean@xxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 00:48:33 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 23:46:54 +0000

> > > I can make this bug come and go at will based on which of the
> > > 2 network interfaces are part of the bridge.  I added that
> > > information into the bugzilla bug, hopefully that helps.
> >
> > Are you changing the default 'netdev' at the top of the
> network script?
>
> No actually, I guess I'm not even clear why veth0 exists, as
> everything works quite nicely for me without it functioning.

If you're running services in dom0 that are used by other domains you
are liable to get head-of-line blocking or even deadlock of the domU's
networking unless you use veth0:  all of the domU's skb's could end up
getting queued in dom0 socket buffers.

veth0 avoids this by copying packets destined for dom0 and giving the
buffer back to the domU.

Ian