Re: [Xen-devel] RFC: "local" communications

On Wed, 2005-06-15 at 14:31 -0700, Nivedita Singhvi wrote:
> >> Should it be some virtual device analogous to the virtual
> >> network driver, or should we have some other kind of socket
> >> for node local communications ?
>
> Using protocols like TCP for node-local comms is undesirable
> as TCP is engineered for the heavy machinery of the Internet.
> UDP or raw sockets will be somewhat better, although AF_UNIX
> would be best of all (albeit with its own constraints).

For domU->dom0 within a node, I agree.

For domU->domU communications, I kind of disagree: If we migrate a domU
to another node, we shouldn't have to change how we're talking to that
domain.  Then again, in this case, we might not care for the type of
information we're sending/receiving.

Also, I think there's only a very limited set of information which
should be available over whatever communications model is employed (at
least, initially).  If a domU is compromised, we certainly don't want
the intruder to be able to find out anything significant about other
domains.

(Sorry for sounding like Captain Obvious, I'm sure this has been
considered)

-- Lon