Re: [Xen-devel] evil idea: oracle, postgres, solaris

  • To: Adam Heath <doogie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Jon Smirl <jonsmirl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 18:35:55 -0500
  • Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 23:36:37 +0000

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 17:08:10 -0600 (CST), Adam Heath
<doogie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> So, we are getting reading to do some testing of oracle/postgres here,
> using 2 domU instances, same hardware, memory, disk, etc.  Standard stuff.  We
> are doing this to see which is better(a current client of ours insists on
> oracle, and the extra $$ that comes with it).

Sybase is offering free commercial use of their flagship Linux ASE if
you can fit in these limits:  one CPU, 5GB of data storage and 2GB of
RAM.

http://www.sybase.com/linuxpromo

> They also use solaris as their OS, and expensive sun boxes.
>
> However, if opensolaris were ported to xen, then we could do even more
> side-by-side comparisons.  The license of opensolaris should allow this.
>
> So, this is an open question: does anyone find this interesting, and would be
> willing to work on it?  Unfortunately, we don't have time, nor the knowledge,
> to do this(neither solaris nor xen internals), but are willing to help test.

Jon Smirl
jonsmirl@xxxxxxxxx