Re: [Xen-devel] AGP & Binary Nvidia Drivers

  • To: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Jerome Brown <jerome@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 15:35:55 +1300
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 02:43:22 +0000

Jacob Gorm Hansen wrote:
<snip>
> Remember that you need to recompile the open source parts of the nvidia
> driver with the headers from the xenlinux kernel, or nothing will work,
> but also remember to keep the old non-Xen version around. Then you can
> boot normal linux, load the module and start X, and note down all the
> relevant parts of the logs, so that you can compare against them when
> trying to run things in Xen. Hopefully the difference between the logs
> should give a hint about what stuff goes wrong.

Well, I decided to start here. I removed the old driver and tried to
reinstall it, to be told that it requires MTRR to be enabled in the
kernel. (I must have accidently compiled against the wrong sources last
time). When I try to add this to with ARCH="xen" make menuconfig, the
option does not present itself. Is there a way to enable this in the
config, or would doing so be A Bad Thing (TM)? (I am also interested in
getting my soundcard going, and the ALSA sections are also not
displayed, but that is the next challenge!)

The good news is that I am writing this in X under a Xen kernel using
the opensource Nvidia Driver that is shipped with X.org - however it is
not as responsive, nor does the 3D work.

> Finally, look in the open source part of the module for stuff like
> virt_to_phys*, remap_pfn*, etc., to see if there is anything obvious there.

What would be obvious? I know a little C, but that is about the strength
of it. I'm willing to have a look and play, but don't really know what I
am doing in the internals of code :)

> Good luck!

Thanks. I think I need it! :)

Thanks again for the help

--
Jerome Brown
Technology Architect

P: +64  3 961-5116
M: +64 29 453 7663
F: +64  3 961-5129
E: jerome@xxxxxxxxxx
W: http://www.hub.net.nz/
O: Level 4, 818 Colombo St, Christchurch, New Zealand
S: PO Box 1879, Christchurch, New Zealand