[Xen-devel] Re: xen/ia64 and elilo relocation

Stephane Eranian wrote:

Hi Stephane,

elilo loads each block of text/data at the address indicated by the
paddr of the corresponding program header.

Are you saying that the address is different only when you abort a load?

Yes, that's right. Other missing piecees of info:

- I was using the elilo shipped with a RHEL4 beta
- my elilo.conf:

image=xen
       label=xen
       initrd=xenlinux
       read-only
       append="nomca console=ttyS1,57600 root=/dev/sda2"

xenlinux is a large uncompressed binary - so it's easy to hit space to abort it's loading.

Note that when an EFI program terminates, the memory is not freed. If we do
not cleanly free the memory on load abort, then it is possible that the
designated memory address is unavailable.

elilo.efi didn't exit yet. It dropped me back to the elilo: prompt to let me choose an image. I chose the same image a second time and this time I saw xen getting loaded at a different address.

I quickly checked the source code
and elilo does not try to relocate unless the option "relocatable " is specified
either globally in elilo.conf or on the Xen image. I also checked the abort
case and elilo does free the memory allocated for the kernel, as such you should
be able to retry.

Someone suggested that the RHEL4 elilo turns relocation on by default to support SGI boxes. I'm not sure if it does that by adding a relocatable flag to elilo.conf or by changing the code. I checked the SRPM and the fedora cvs and can't find a patch which touches the code.

You can try forcing elilo-3.4/ia64/config.c:ia64_can_relocate() to return 0
just to make sure this is not the source of the problem.

Yes, I'll check this and let you know.

        -Arun