[Xen-devel] organizing virtual machines

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Eric S. Johansson" <esj@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 17:53:49 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 22:54:28 +0000

just want to make sure I'm understanding things correctly.

Every virtual machine must have effectively two partitions. The first being a root partition containing all of the system executables and configuration files as well as the usual /var, /tmp, etc. The second being storage for your application/user.

I imagine one could make a single partition to hold both of these sets of information but that's not the wisest choice. my preference would also be to put /var on the data partition.

Assuming the use of a standard OS distribution like Gentoo, it is my impression that each virtual machine would be updated independently just like they would be on separate physical hardware platforms.

Obviously, this seems like a terrible waste of space but given the current dogs breakfast known as /etc, I'm not sure that is another solution. I have a few ideas on how to fix this that may or may not pan out but not the hands (rsi).

anyway, just wanted to confirm the impressions from the documentation.

next task is mastering lvm2...

---eric

--
http://www.salon.com/books/review/2004/12/18/heloise/index.html

The basis of Abelard's philosophy, which he taught to Heloise, was
that logic had to be applied to religion in order to arrive at the
truth.