[Xen-devel] XenCD xm save problem: solved by 2.0.4

[Jared == jared@xxxxxxxxxxx on Thu, 10 Feb 2005 16:40:05 -0800]

  Jared> Others have reported success after switching to Xen 2.0.4,
  Jared> but my XenCD save problem still exists with a 2.0.4-built
  Jared> snapshot.

My sincere thanks to Paul Ionescu who pointed out that my 2.0.4 build
wasn't actually 2.0.4 but rather xeno-unstable.

After fixing this build bug and retrying the resulting XenCD inside
qemu, xm save/restore now works properly!  (Fresh out of the box (no
strace xfrd), to both hard disks and tmpfs).

I believe that now every recent report of xm save/restore actually
works under 2.0.4, while current xen-unstable installations are still
broken (perhaps in only some cases?)

Hopefully, this community testing provides the Xen team a more clear
problem report and points to xm save/restore reversion between 2.0.4
and current unstable.

My box is chugging away on building some new XenCD snapshots and the
resulting snapshot should be available for download in a few hours.
(If I remember, I'll report on xen-testing's save/restore
success/failure as well).

This issue is important enough for demo purposes that XenCD 1.0rc01 is
revoked as a release candidate, and I'll need to release a 1.0rc02
within a few days.

-- jared@xxxxxxxxxxx

"We suffer primarily not from our vices or our weaknesses, but from our
 illusions.  We are haunted, not by reality, but by those images we have put
 in place of reality." - Daniel J. Boorstin