RE: [Xen-devel] debian python-install.patch (3 of 5)

On Sat, 5 Feb 2005, Ian Pratt wrote:

> > Name: python-install.patch
> >  --home causes python's distutils to install into
> > /usr/lib/python/, while
> >  --root causes it to install into
> > /usr/lib/python$ver/site-packages, which
> >  is the more correct location.
>
> This was deliberately changed a few weeks back.
>
> http://xen.bkbits.net:8080/xen-2.0-testing.bk/diffs/tools/python/Makefil
> e@xxxx?nav=index.html|src/.|src/tools|src/tools/python|hist/tools/python
> /Makefile
>
> When doing a make dist, dist/install/usr/lib/python is probably the best
> location to put the packages.
>
> When doing a reall install, /usr/lib/python$ver/site-packages may well
> be the right location.

Er, in all packages I have ever used, make dist has given me a tree(which is
normally placed into a tar by upstream, and 'dist'ributed, hence the name),
that can then be optionally overlayed ontop an already installed system.

This implies that the directory layout underneath dist/install needs to be the
same as it would be installing to / to begin with.

> The build system has been messed around with so much I'm not sure its
> still possible to tell the difference between the two cases.
>
> Can we at least get agreement on the behaviour we want?

I'm trying to make xen behave like everything else I've seen in my packaging
experience with debian.  Consistency is good, no?  It lowers the barrier for
other people to understand what is going on. Ultimately, it let's more people
play both with the final product, and with the source itself.