Re: [Xen-devel] What is domain creation flow-chart in XEND

  • To: Anthony Liguori <anthony@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Andrew Warfield <andrew.warfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 08:16:55 +0000
  • Cc: Nauzad Sadry <nauzad@xxxxxxxxx>, Mark Williamson <Mark.Williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 08:18:41 +0000

>how does XEND pass the information abt the control channel in DomainU??.

the control rings live on the shared page that is passed to new
domains at start-of-day.
see the control_if_t struct in xen/include/public/io/domain_controller.h.

> Yeah, this has confused me a little too.  xfrd does call
> xc_linux_build.  Here's my understanding (this could be totally wrong).
> Xend uses the config file to build a LISP expression that it passes to
> xfrd.  xfrd is what actually calls xc_linux_build.  docs/misc/xend.tex
> and docs/misc/xen_config.html explain this stuff although neither
> mentions xfrd.

In the general case of building a new domain, xend calls the domain
builder directly.  you don't see the linux_build call because python
builds it inline:

tools/python/xen/xend/XendDomainInfo.py:736:
        buildfn = getattr(xc, '%s_build' % ostype)

xfrd is only used for domain migration.

> >>From what I am understanding x2d2 is like a miniXend for testing
> >purposes. The actual XEND does NOT communicate with x2d2.

This is correct, x2d2 is a simpler xend that steven smith wrote.  I
don't think that it will build with the current tree.

hth,
a.