Re: [Xen-devel] Re: nfsroot and brige

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005, Grzegorz Milos wrote:

> Instead use routing and iptables (masquerade) as follows:
> dom0 eth0 stays with 10.128.107.187
> dom0 eth1 stays with 192.168.0.65
> dom0 acts as a NAT for unpriviledged domains

that's what I was kind of figuring I would need to do.

But a real bridge (I used to use them) would transparently bridge packets
from vif1.0 to eth1, right? This is what I never saw working, unless I did
things that made no sense (e.g. ifconfig xen-br0 192.168.0.65), and even
then I only got from domU to dom0. (it makes no real sense to me for a
*bridge* to have an IP address).

I would expect something working as a real bridge to allow me to do this:

ifconfig eth1 192.168.0.65
brctl  xen-br0 addif eth1
brctl  xen-br0 addif vif1.0

This is essentially wiring the two ifs up to xen-br0.

then I dhcp from domU and I would think packets ought to flow to
vif1.0->eth1, and eth1->vif1.0, broadcasts would flow across the bridge
transparently and, once the right MAC discovery happened, packets from
vif1.0 would make it to 192.168.0.1

I'm still not sure they didn't -- tcpdump seemed to think the DHCP
requests were going to eth1, but my home router didn't seem to think it
was seeing them. I will do a little more fooling around.

ron