Re: [Xen-devel] make dist and python files

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005, Arun Sharma wrote:

> In the xeno-unstable tree,
>
> # make install
>
> populates python files in /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/xen
>
> However,
>
> # make dist
>
> populates them in
>
> dist/install/lib/python
>
> For people trying to package up Xen into an installable object (rpm/deb
> whatever) this creates a problem.
>
> So my question is, why not have
>
> # make dist
>
> also populate
>
> dist/install/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/xen
>
> Of course, this won't work for situations where the build machine and
> the target machine have a different version of python.

No, the proper way is to have make install only, and set DESTDIR when you want
to install into a separate tree.

I have patches that do this consistently to all makefiles(I made them when
producing the official package for Debian).  I'll try to send them to this
list this week.