Re: [Xen-devel] Porting Xen

Keir Fraser wrote:
On Wednesday 22 December 2004 12:01 am, Ian Pratt wrote:

once it has full hardware support, it won't be paravirtualization anymore, will be?

Using the new hardware support Xen will have the capability to run
unmodified guests, but where possible you'll still want to use
paravirtualized guests as they'll offer better performance and benefit
from being aware of the virtualized environment.

This looks very promising!
When will chips with the new hardware support become available?

Intel haven't yet announced when they will ship VT-capable chips.

<http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archive/speeches/otellini20040907.htm> says:

# In terms of other technologies, LaGrande Technology for reliability -- for
# security and Vanderpool technology, which is our virtualization capability
# for reliability, the combination those of two really gets enabled with
# [Windows] Longhorn in 2006, even though we have continued to develop it,
# you'll see a demo of it in a few seconds, this technology, in order to be
# mainstreamed, needs a robust, reliable operating system environment that
# we believe will be coincident with the Longhorn deployment in '06.

Also see <http://www.intel.com/update/issue/tim1204.pdf>:

# VT for Intel(R) Xeon(TM) and Pentium(R) 4 processor-based platforms will
# be available on server, workstation, and desktop platforms in 2006.

(This PDF may crash web browsers; save it and open it separately in a
PDF reader.)

--
David Hopwood <david.nospam.hopwood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>