RE: [Xen-devel] can several guest OS be bound to their own ports on multiport Ethernet NIC?

  • To: "Igor Mendelev" <imendelev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Neugebauer, Rolf" <rolf.neugebauer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 17:19:05 -0000
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 17:20:34 +0000

Apart from Brian's reply

Any n-port driver supported by Linux *should* also work with Xen.

If you want to assign different ports to different VMs these ports need
to appear as separate PCI devices (have a unique ID). The you should be
able to hide these ports from dom 0 and assign them individually to a
VM.

Also you need to make sure that you will be able to assign different
ports on each card to different IRQs because otherwise performance won't
be very good. In fact, I don't think shared interrupts between different
VMs has been particularly stress tested...it probably works ok but there
might be corner cases...

Rolf