Re: [Xen-devel] Documetation - The Phantom Menace

In 1.2 the RTC programs would lock a Debian Woody (and testing/unstable)
system up. In 2.0-pre it only generates a "can't access" type of error.
Once that can be ignored. :)

The lib/tls disabling is also desired (though not necessary due to xen's
emulation).

You can use the standard debian installer and dist-upgrade to testing
for my debs. It should work out of the box for Domain-0.

To create your initial system image for subsequent domains, you need to
use debootstrap package. You then have to hand configure /etc/hosts,
/etc/hostname, /etc/resolv.conf, /etc/fstab, /etc/network/interfaces at
the minimal.

 Among my tasks (unless someone else wants to tackle this one) is a
helper script that uses the debian installer package as a boot disk for
installing directly to a XenLinux domain.

As a side note, I've decided to make XenLinuxBuilder an independant
package for compiling any of Xen's domain kernels. So eventually this
will be available separate from the debian packaging of Xen I'm
maintaining. I'll split it out as soom as I cut the new debs (which will
be as soon as it looks like the time issue is nailed down, if not
before).

Additional side note, if anyone wants a howto on setting up nagios to
monitor and reboot domains I'll hash one out and publish it along with a
check command and action definitions for nagios.

If anyone else has tips and tricks for a non-mainstream distro, feel
free to create a section for their distro on xen.terrabox.com. I think
coverign *BSD, and the top 3 or 4 linux distros in the official manual
would be sufficient. Any more would make it tough to keep the official
docs synced up with new distro releases IMHO that happen to break
things. 8-P

As a side note, xen.terrabox.com runs on a XenLinux instance of Debian
testing. It connects to a mysql db on another physical machine in it's
own XenLinux instance. :) I'm in the process of converting the last
couple of machines to Xen.

Whew, long message. :)