Re: [Xen-devel] No network-interface to the outside world in domain 0

Ian Pratt wrote:
Just to recap, you've got a natsemi ethernet card which isn't
working as a module in domain 0, right?

exactly. the driver initialisation-message shows up but the
'ethX: .....' message does not.

It's possible the natsemi driver is technically buggy, and is
making assumptions it oughtn't but gets away with on plain x86.
Have you another Ethernet card you can try? Alternatively, what
happens if you compile the driver into the kernel rather than a
module?

[ I'd like to be able to ignore all bug reports on Ethernet cards
which cost less than $10 ;-) ]

The natsemi-card is an Netgear FA311 Rev A2. While it now is nearly
as cheap as $10 it was not cheap as it was new some years ago. (I remember
to have bought one in '99 for $50 in an radioshaq(?)-shop in phoenix, az :-)

I'll attach dmesgs and /proc/pci from native 2.4, 2.6 and my 2.6-xen0.

Sadly i have no really expensive  NIC to test ;-) , but i'll now try a
FA311 Rev C1, a D-Link DFE-530TX and maybe one of that really cheap
Realteks. And i'll try to compile in the drivers.

i just noticed that i enabled CONFIG_XEN_NETDEV_FRONTEND _and_
CONFIG_XEN_NETDEV_BACKEND - could that be the problem? i'll attach my
config-xen0 here.

This should be no problem at all.

yes. (below)

Keir Fraser wrote:
i just noticed that i enabled CONFIG_XEN_NETDEV_FRONTEND _and_
CONFIG_XEN_NETDEV_BACKEND - could that be the problem? i'll attach my
config-xen0 here.

Unlikely. Hmm.. does a native 2.4 kernel boot okay on your machine?

right - with only FRONTEND enabled nothing changes. 2.4.25 dmesg & /proc/pci is
attached

Thanks so far for caring - i'll be back with success or more debug output :)
Could you need some other output, too?

         ...Frank