Re: [Xen-devel] 2.6 changesets

> [RH9 /lib/tls uses a positively insane scheme in which 4GB
> segments are created and -ve offsets (!!) used to access within
> them. We just can't allow this in Xen as it would violate
> security. Hopefully other distros haven't used this particular
> version.

Having read up on it, NPTL is the new ABI for thread-local storage as
concocted by Ulrich Drepper and Redhat. Given that Ulrich is the glibc
maintainer, it seems likely to get pushed as the default config,
unless other distros deliberately unconfigure it.

> It must cause performance havoc for VMware too.  We've
> been lucky with Linux 2.4 as ld.so automatically selects using
> /lib/i686 for reasons I don't understand -- 'ldconfig -p'
> suggests that tls should be used if "hwcap: 0x8000000000000000,
> OS ABI: Linux 2.4.20". Kernel 2.4.26 is obviously > 2.4.20.
> I don't know what this hwcap is. ]

Actually I see 2.4.26 going for /lib/libc lib/libm and so on, rather
than /lib/i686/*. Not sure why that is, since 'uname' says it's a i686
platform.

 -- Keir