Re: [Xen-devel] QLogic Fibre Channel HBA Support

On Mon, Jul 05, 2004 at 09:14:15PM +0100, Ian Pratt wrote:
> You can, in principle, export anything that dom0 sees as a block
> device e.g. sda7, nbd0, vg0 as a block device in another domain
> e.g. sda1, hda1.

What about loop devices?  Should they work?  This lookup_raw_partn()
exception (in 1.2) might be what threw me off:

xendev1:~# dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/d0 bs=1M count=100
100+0 records in
100+0 records out
xendev1:~# losetup /dev/loop0 /tmp/d0
xendev1:~# xc_vd_tool.py initialise /dev/loop0 4
Formatting for virtual disks
Device: /dev/loop0
Extent size: 4MB
Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/bin/xc_vd_tool.py", line 53, in ?
        rc = XenoUtil.vd_format(dev, extent_size)
    File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/XenoUtil.py", line 261, in vd_format
        part_info = lookup_raw_partn(partition)[0]
TypeError: unsubscriptable object

> Hence, you should be able to implement the equivalent of Xen 1.2
> VDs just by using Linux's existing LVM mechanism.

I'm trying to picture how this would work -- LVM volume groups on top of
the dom0 VBDs, and then xc.vbd_create() to assign LVM logical volumes to
other domains?

> The current tools don't quite allow the full set of functionality
> that Xen implements, but adding support for LVM partitions should be
> easy.

What's missing?

Steve
--
Stephen G. Traugott  (KG6HDQ)
UNIX/Linux Infrastructure Architect, TerraLuna LLC