Re: [Xen-devel] Xen-Unstable : no eth0 when boot up

> unfortunaly new problems comes. :(
> I noticed long ago that after install xen, 'halt' didn't work, it just acted
> like reboot. So I wanna try it on this 1.3, and it turned that it still just
> reboots the machine. And I trid this on two xen machines, both worked this
> way.

You mean in domain 0?  I think invoking halt/reboot in other
domains does the right thing, though I haven't checked (there's
at least now code for a domain to exit with a code indicating
what action it wants).

Whenever domain 0 exits, Xen reboots the machine. I guess we
could look at the exit code and loop if its a halt.

> More serious problems is after this reboot, eth0 lost again. I didn't change
> anything since eth0 was up. I'm sure the .config has set e100=y. So I 'make
> clean' and 'make world' 'make install' again, still didn't work.
>
> Then I add printk("hello world from e100_init_module\n") in e100_main.c. and
> then just 'make linux-xen0', 'cp /install/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.26-xen0'. From
> dmesg, can see this:
>
> e100:selftest timeout
> e100:failed to initialize, instance #0
> hello world from e100_init_module
>
> While if I use just reboot to standard linux or xen 1.2, eth0 works fine.
> Then I changed the grub, use 1.2 kernal+1.3 module, it shows that e100
> selftest ok, eth0 is ready, but surely invalid guest OS image. I also tried
> 1.3 kernal+1.2 module, just didn't go to e100 step. My question here is when
> useing 1.2 kernal+1.3 module, why the 'hello world from e100_init_module'
> didn't appear?

Don't mix different Xen images and OSes -- it won't work. The
hypervisor API has changed.

> After these two tries, I changed the grub back to normal 1.3 kernal+1.3
> module, and, it magically worked, eth0 is back again.

It sounds like that unless your NIC gets a hard reboot, Linux's
e100 driver code won't detect it next time round.  I'm guessing
Xen does a soft reboot when it exits, as its faster and works on
the vast majority of hardware.

I guess we could add a "hardreboot" xen cmdline option, but
rebooting a PC in s/w is a bit of a black art.

Ian