Re: [Xen-devel] New kernel won't boot

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Gregory Newby" <newby@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 09:07:25 -0900
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 18:08:18 +0000

On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 07:45:28AM +0000, Keir Fraser wrote:
> > Just a quick note: I noticed that a top-level "make clean" in the
> > xeno-clone directory does not remove xenolinux.gz, and a top-level
> > "make" does not rebuild xenolinux.gz
> >
> > (destination is the xeno-clone/install/boot directory)
> >
> > Since I cannot find it documented elsewhere, here is the
> > procedure I'm using to build from scratch.
>
>  <snipped>
>
> Try the following instead:
>
> 1. mkdir xen-new ; cd xen-new
>
> 2. bk clone bk://xen.bkbits/net/xeno-1.1.bk
>
> 3. ./xeno-1.1.bk/tools/misc/xen-clone bk://xen.bkbits/net/xeno-1.1.bk

Ok, I'll try this.  Two important questions:

1. At what point can I customize the kernel,
(in my case, I need to add ReiserFS support)?  Should I
run "make dep" etc. afterwards, or if not what command
comes after I edit the kernel's .config?

2. Do I need to be root for anything other than copying
in the images (which I've been doing with regular
"cp") to /boot?  So far, I've not been running as
root until I need it.

Thanks!!  Greg