Re: [Xen-devel] New kernel won't boot

On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 11:08:30PM +0000, Keir Fraser wrote:
> > The image from the CD is just fine.  But *both* the multi-boot
> > images (from xen/arch/boot) and "default" vmlinux (from
> > the root kernel compile directory) fail with the same
> > "error 13" from Grub.  From *both* the 1.0 and nightly
> > unstable builds.
> >
> > If it would help, I can set you up with access to
> > the machine to try some different configuration tricks.
> > If you think an earlier compiler would help, I can try it.
> > I'm at version 2.14 for my binutils, BTW, and 3.3 for gcc.
>
> Your xenimage.gz is a Xenolinux file, not a Xen file.

Aha.  Um.

> It should be specified as a module to GRUB. The kernel line should
> specify a Xen image.
>
> Case dismissed. :-)

Maybe...more likely I just got lost and put the wrong file there.
I just re-copied, based on what I wrote below.

Please take another quick look:
        http://peabody.arsc.edu/xen/boot/xenimage.gz

After I do a "xeno-clone" or similar, where is the actual
bootable image file located?

I thought the bootable image is here (which is what I just re-copied
to http://peabody.arsc.edu/xen/boot/xenimage.gz):
        xeno-unstable.bk/xeno-clone/xenolinux-2.4.22/arch/xeno/boot/image.gz

and the xenolinux file is:
        xeno-unstable.bk/xeno-clone/install/boot/xenolinux.gz

So if this isn't right, where the heck is the kernel image???

I already tried to boot from:
        xeno-unstable.bk/xeno-clone/xenolinux-2.4.22/vmlinux (or vmlinux.gz),
but from the "make bzImage" it seems that the image.gz is simply the
vmlinux with the multiboot bytes prepended.  Neither will work
via the "grub> kernel /FILENAME" command

I admit to being confused!  Thanks for further guidance on this...
 -- Greg